With Christmas just around the corner and the invites for holiday parties not far away, we’re talking to LA based makeup artist, Françoise Saint-Pierre on one of the hottest makeup looks for the ‘sparkliest’ season and just how we need to apply it to be the belle of the ball.
Saint-Pierre, what’s your take on the winter look we should be wearing this season?
This winter is very eccentric and a smokey eye with a pop of pink or blue is on the agenda!
Love the idea of a smokey eye with a pop of pink! OK tell us where to start!
PREPPING THE SKIN
which help tone and exfoliate.
Makeup artists’ go-to moisturizer is Embryolisse Lait Crème. It is good on every skin type. I finish prepping the skin with some rose water or a hydrating mist.
I always do the eyes first. There is nothing more frustrating than eye shadow fall-out. The holidays are the perfect occasion for a smoky eye. First, I use an eyelid primer, such as Urban Decay or TooFaced.
Red hues are in this winter and they look amazing on brown eyes. One by Pink eyeshadow palette - Pat McGrath Labs works perfectly for the look.
HOW TO APPLY THE EYE SHADOW
- Start by applying the highlight shade to the brow bone without touching the lid.
- The transitional shade (or medium shade) is then applied on the crease or where you wish to create the illusion of one. I like to use a dome blending brush and work in circular motions from the outside to the inside corner of the eye. Make sure to tap the brush after picking up eye shadow.
- Then take the darkest shade and pack it on the mobile lid with a medium flat brush.
- Finally, I blend the darkest color with the transitional one to create an upward transition from the mobile lid with a very small dome brush.
- I finish by using the transitional color to define the lower lashes. I line the upper and lower water line with Inglot AMC Eyeliner Gel in #77.
PRIME THE SKIN
- I recommend using a BB cream first
- The use a cream foundation with more coverage on the areas that need extra help. I like Laura Mercier Tinted moisturizer and Koh Gen Do Moisture Foundation for the base.
- I recommend applying the concealer in a rectangular shape under the eye to make sure there are no reverse racoon eyes in photos and also to illuminate the center of the face.
- I like Kevyn Aucoin Skin Enhancer Concealer, which is easy to mix with an eye cream for a more liquid texture.
For this look I line the lips with MAC Stripdown and use Charlotte Tilsbury Penelope Pink for lipstick.
Another popular look for Fall/ Winter 2018-2019 is a bare face with bright crimson red lips. I like the classic Ruby Woo from MAC or Dragon girl from NARS.
ABOUT FRANCOISE SAINT-PIERRE
Born of a Canadian father and of a French mother, Françoise Saint-Pierre has worked as a makeup artist for nearly 10 years in film, fashion, commercials and as a makeup/glitter artist for Lise Watier, Stila, The Gyspy Shrine, In Your Dreams and Universal Soul. She graduated from Cinema Makeup School in Los Angeles and also holds a degree in Cinema Production and Costume Design. Other credits include publications in Vogue Italia, Elle, On Makeup Magazine, Elléments magazine, Facade, New Idea. She has also been representing Lise Watier for over 15 makeup shows like IMATS, PhamEXPO and The Makeup show in Los Angeles.
Follow Françoise Saint-Pierre on Instagram at: @beautybyfranki